- My ambivalent take on Gauguin at the Art Institute of Chicago
- It's that time of year again: Breakout artists! I wrote a profile on the wonderful and talented Aram Han Sifuentes for Newcity. Check it.
- Without fail, the Whitney Biennial causes a stir in the artworld; the 2017 iteration, marking the return of the exhibition in the museum's new space, is no exception. I weighed in with a short take on the controversy. Read it at artcritical.
- I wrote on the affecting exhibition at Northwestern University's Block Museum of Art for the Chicago Reader. "Kader Attia: Reflecting Memory" is on view through April 16th.
- Tuesday, 13 December, join me and Parsons & Charlesworth for a conversation at Claudia Cassidy Center from 6pm as we discuss "Spectacular Vernacular" with Art Institute design curator Zoe Ryan. It's the last public program in the exhibition. If you're in Chicago, we hope to see you!
- Purchase a copy of the essay and interview I wrote for Parsons & Charlesworth. Agile Ciphers for Cultural Truths is available now!
- Read some thoughts on Larry Achiampong's first US solo exhibition over at Hyperallergic.
- Excited to participate in Culture Mixtape as part of "Spectacular Vernacular" on October 23 with Petra Bachamier (Luftwerk), SAIC design progressors Illona Gaynor and Helen Maria Nugent; Iker Gil and microbiologist Andrew Scarpelli. If you're around, please join us as we talk about things that inspire us having nothing to do with microbiology, writing, art, or design.
- I spent three weeks in Brazil, getting to know a group of amazingly talented locals, and checking out the bienal, which I wrote about recently. Read more.
- Over the last year, I've gotten to know the lovely people behind the design studio Parsons & Charlesworth. It has been my pleasure to write an essay for the exhibition "Spectacular Vernacular" at the Chicago Cultural Center on September 10th. If you are in Chicago on September 16 please join us for the opening reception.
- Newcity's Art 50, Artist Edition has been released. I wrote about some of the city's best and brightest.
- I wrote a profile on a group of amazing curators who are using their positions in institutions to make the arts ecosystem better. Read it at ArtSlant.
- Read my take on The Propeller Group's recent exhibitions.
- I'm part of the Review Panel talking all things art at the Brooklyn Public Library on May 10. If you are in town, please stop by!
- I covered some significant art happenings in Chicago for Newcity - one of the amazing Breakout Artists and a short review of the Kerry James Marshall retrospective that recently opened at the MCA Chicago.
- Well, this happened. (!!!)